Day 5 - May 27, 2017 - Oil Painting, Portrait of My Cat, Betty


Today's practice was this portrait of my cat, Betty. 6 x 6" in oil. 

This was a really fun painting I did for myself. I had fun with it up until the whiskers and trying to add in some random little white hairs she has. The paint kept smearing everywhere, the black paint especially kept sneaking into the white and I had to redo the whiskers about a hundred times until I just left it how it is pictured, my frustrated strokes of defeat. 

I will have to see if I can find a tutorial somewhere with some tips on adding whiskers in oil paint. I'm guessing I was probably supposed to wait for the first layer to dry, but with a week drying time of these paints, I just don't have the patience. I like to get everything done in one sitting if I can. This is making me wonder if maybe I should give acrylics a try next, I may like the faster drying time. Not buying any more paint supplies for a while though, so it will have to wait. For now I will keep trying with these oils.

Amanda

Comments

Popular Posts