Day 3 - May 24, 2017 - A Self Portrait in Oil, Pt 1

6 x 6" oil painting in progress, self-portrait

Today, I chose to dive into the deep end and go straight into a self-portrait. Be brave. Self-portraits have always been something I avoid. Maybe it's just me, but does anyone know that feeling where you look at your face so often that it starts to look a bit strange and unfamiliar? Like you already know what your face looks like, but when you start to focus on the individual features it almost feels like you're looking at another person. I felt that while I was staring in the mirror to paint this. 

I'm going to make this one a two-day piece, as I started getting a bit frustrated after an hour of painting. My smallest brush was a bit big for smaller details, that's why my eyelashes came out so thick. I'm actually not even wearing makeup for this, but I'll just pretend like I caked on some mascara. 

I'll be putting in another layer tomorrow, to add contrast and shading, and hopefully be able to bring out some highlights so it doesn't look so flat. I'm glad I went straight into this portrait instead of playing it safe with some more flowers or plants, Learning a lot already. I'm not too worried, I know I'll get better the more I practice it.

Amanda

Comments

Popular Posts